Architect Robert D. Farquhar is famous in the Los Angeles area for designing a number of notable buildings, including the California Club, the Fenyes Mansion in Pasadena, and the Canfield-Moreno Estate in Silverlake. He also designed multiple buildings for William Andrews Clark, Jr., including this library, the Alice McManus Clark Library (now Clark Administration Building) at the University of Nevada, Reno and the Clark family mausoleum at Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles. In the early 1920’s, Clark’s librarian Cora Sanders wrote Farquhar this short note, asking him to call her at Clark’s library, as she had been unable to reach him on the phone herself, in order to set up a time for he and Mr. Clark to meet and discuss the possible building of a mausoleum.
The mausoleum was finished in 1922, and remains the largest monument in the cemetery, located on its own island in the middle of a man-made lake, which Clark paid to have dredged.
Mr. Clark was interred in the mausoleum after his death in 1934. Mr. Clark’s two wives and his son, William Andrews Clark III, all of whom predeceased him, are also interred there.