UCLA’s new Meteorite Museum has just opened in UCLA’s Geology building and it features one the meteorites from Mr. Clark’s collection. From the 1920s until 1951, when it was torn down, the Clark Library grounds were home to Mr. Clark’s very own observatory, which contained telescopes in addition to a collection of meteorites and a small astronomy library. After Clark died in 1934, the meteorites made their way to the UCLA campus. The largest one, the Canyon Diablo meteorite (357 pounds!), is now part of the Meteorite Museum display. Clark librarians helped Professor John Wasson research the meteorite’s origins and part of that history is included in the exhibit!
More information about the Meteorite Museum is available via the UCLA Today website.