The William Andrews Clark Memorial Library is one of UCLA's major libraries for rare books and manuscripts, with particular strengths in English literature and history (1641-1800), Oscar Wilde, and fine printing. It is located thirteen miles east of campus (about a half-hour drive), in the West Adams District of Los Angeles north of USC. It is administered by UCLA's Center for Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century Studies.
The library and its collections were founded by William Andrews Clark, Jr., and named after his father, who had built a mining fortune in Montana. The son, a prominent Los Angeles book collector and philanthropist, had a house at the corner of Adams Blvd. and Cimarron Street, and from 1924 to 1926 he constructed the present library on the same lot. Shortly afterwards he announced his intention to donate the collection, the buildings, and the property to UCLA. When he died in 1934 the deed passed to the University.
To learn how you can contribute to the Clark Library's legacy, click here.